Friday, June 8, 2012

Oreo Poke Cake

Good morning! Did you have a good weekend? Did you try anything new? :D

Today's recipe review is an Oreo® poke cake I found at The Country Cook. Now, remember when I promised that I'd tell you when I made substitutions? I had to do that with this one - but just the pudding.

Even though this cake was for a Stampin' Up!® event, I *knew* it would be around the house for a while. :D I mean, unless a whole lot more people showed up for my open house than I thought were going to! :D So, I decided to save the carbs and calories wherever I could. I did use milk for the pudding; I've been known to use almond milk and another low-carb milk, but didn't want to bother anyone's taste buds or tummies. :D

So, instead of the Oreo® pudding which *only* comes in fully-loaded sugar, I used sugar-free cheesecake pudding. Now, we make poke cakes all the time around here; a Jell-o® poke cake has been known to be my birthday cake. :D I have to tell you, this pudding set up faster than any I've done a poke cake with before, and I'm not sure WHY. As you can see, it didn't go all the way down into the channels I poked into the cake, but there was LOTS on top. :D

Because my pudding wasn't Oreo®, I decided to go ahead with the optional cookies on top. I only used about 10-12, and they were regular, so it wasn't a WHOLE lot more carbs. :D

Overall, I give this recipe a YES, PLEASE! It was yummy, and several people at the event commented on it - calling it "great" and "refreshing". :) Things that are GOOD to hear about your cake!

Try making this for some event where chocolate will score you points! :D Because it's made in two steps, you can bake off the cake one day and do the topping(s) the next. Let me know if you try this one! Have a wonderful, BLESSED day!

No comments:

Post a Comment