Monday, January 5, 2015

Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Roll

Phew! Happy Monday! Have you had a good six weeks?!? I don't know about you, but I've had soooo much to do, time has FLOWN.

Today's recipe review is what I made for our Christmas Day dessert, Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Roll from Brown-Eyed Baker.

I had an admission to make: I've never done a cake roll before. My baby sister is fantastic at doing them - she does a pumpkin roll every fall that's beautiful and sooo good! - but I've seen too many of them crack and fall apart. I was REALLY nervous about doing this, but my sister gave me a pep talk and encouraged me to just go for it. So, I did. :D

I followed this pretty much to the letter, except for skimping a little on the strawberries inside the cake roll - it's the middle of winter, and they were a bit crunchy. :D

My verdict: YES, PLEASE! - especially when strawberries are in season, and would color and flavor the whipped cream more. My husband liked the fact that there was a variation of texture in the angel food cake, that it wasn't all just soft. :D It really was pretty easy; when I started to unroll the cake, it did start to crack - but I propped it up on rolled kitchen towels like my sister suggested, and didn't try to force it to unroll any further. I took my offset spatula and "stuffed" the center with the cream, instead of spreading it.

OK, I'm outta here! It's COLD here today! Brrrrr... :D Have a wonderful day, my friends. Be BLESSED!

No comments:

Post a Comment